To download WSUS installer to your computer
- On the computer running Windows SBS, create a folder named WSUSFiles on your local hard disk.
- Register to download the latest version of WSUSSetup.exe from the Microsoft Web site for Windows Server Update Services here
- Answer all required questions on the Windows Server Update Services Registration Wizard Web page and click Continue.
- When you see the file download security warning prompt, select Save.
- In the Save As dialog, browse to the WSUSFiles folder and then click Save.
To prepare the WSUS database
- Extract the WSUS Setup files.
- Click Start, click Run, and then type C:WSUSFilesWSUSSetup.exe /X, where C: is the letter of your local hard disk.
- When prompted for a location to extract the files, select the WSUSFiles folder.
- Type the following command, where C: is the letter of your local hard disk, and then press Enter: CD C:WSUSFileswmsde
- Type the following command with consideration to the points listed below, and then press Enter: Sqlrun03.msi InstanceName=WSUS BlankSAPwd=1 Reboot=ReallySuppress DisableNetworkProtocols=1 DisableAgentStartup=1 DisableThrottle=1
- If you want to specify the drive letter where the database instance will be located, you must add the DataDir=”Path” argument to the command line, where Path is the path to the target directory in the file system.
- The command line implies that your WSUS database will have a blank password. However, during the actual installation of WSUS, a randomly generated password is set. You do not need to specify a password.
- The command line is not case sensitive.