MigrationTransientException – Office 365 Cutover Migration

office-365-logo_gallery-100266091-large

This is a re-posting of a Erin’s IT blogpost

This issue I have been fighting with for a couple of days, thinking that something was actually wrong with the migration.  But it turns out its a cosmetic issue with some Office 365 tenants.  In the downloaded report you will see:

Couldn’t find a request that matches the information provided. Reason: No such request exists in the specified index. –> Couldn’t find a request that matches the information provided. Reason: No such request exists in the specified index.

However, it seems that everything is, in fact, OK…    though I am still working on confirming this for certain with Microsoft.

 

Erin’s IT original Post

Problem – Running a Microsoft cutover migration fails with following error:

MigrationTransientException: No such request exists in the specified index. –> No such request exists in the specified index.

Mitigation – This issue is just a cosmetic issue in the reporting part, which will be resolved in future releases, in the next 1-2 weeks.

The problem is related to looking at the underlying data move – the Migration service is unable to retrieve it, or manage it in any way (Start, Stop, Remove, Set), so it assumes that it has failed. Even so, the migration of data is working as expected.

You may run, from time to time, the following commands in order to compare the values, in order to ensure that indeed the data is migrated:

Get-MailboxStatistics <mailbox> -debug | fl

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics <mailbox> -IncludeOldestAndNewestItems -IncludeAnalysis -Debug | fl

Expected resolution – June 2016

Cause – Unknown, affects seemingly random tenants.

 

 

  8 Replies to “MigrationTransientException – Office 365 Cutover Migration”

  1. December 18, 2016 at 7:39 pm

    Hey Nick! I’m battling this right now going from EX2007 to Office 365. Everything syncs and then a couple hours later 1 or 2 mailboxes go to “The subscription for the migration user “xxxxxx@xxxxxx.com” couldn’t be loaded. A subscription couldn’t be found for this user. And then there’s a reference to your (Erin’s) noted error in the report for that mailbox. I won’t be stopping the batch for a couple days and I’m hoping everything is still “OK” and that incrementals are happening for the mailboxes that are effected. There’s no rhyme or reason on which mailbox. I can stop the migration and resume and it’ll throw this error another a different one and the previous one will then be fine.

    • Nick
      December 18, 2016 at 8:05 pm

      Hi Tony,

      Yep, it was completely a cosmetic issue, its a weird one and I think the Office 365 teams know about it. Annoying that there isn’t an official support article on it.

      Where are the good ol days when I could write my own on support.microsoft.com 🙂

      • December 18, 2016 at 8:36 pm

        Crazy. I called in yesterday and the tech agent didn’t know a thing about it. Also didn’t know that there was “force sync” button now on the migration dashboard to the right of the “stop” button. WTH. Good, so hopefully this migration finalizes smoothly. Thanks for the reassurance!

  2. Kabatek Antal
    April 15, 2017 at 7:56 am

    Hello,

    My on-premisies system is Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011) and I need to migrate my maiboxes to exchange online.

    I started the migration batch and i get error only one mailbox.

    This mailbox states is syncing, synced and later failed with this error: MigrationTransientException: Couldn‎’t find a request that matches the information provided. Reason: No such request exists in the specified index.

    I checked the new items not synced to exchnage online the mailbox is stuck the first synced state.

    Have any advice?

    Regards,

    Kabatek Antal

  3. Ewhen Nebesniak
    May 12, 2017 at 10:03 am

    I am in the process right now. I had to re-run the New-MigrationBatch step of the Public Folder Migration steps as one of the Mailboxes failed due to hitting the corrupt items limit. So added the Baditems switch and re ran. It then popped up with the error above, but the sync looks to be working. As I’m migrating 88Gb of data, I hope it runs through right after the weekend.

    • Ewhen Nebesniak
      May 12, 2017 at 10:05 am

      Just a follow up, after about 10 minutes, the message looks to have disappeared and the sync is still running through normally….

  4. vpx
    July 1, 2017 at 6:50 pm

    I think this error appears when there’s a mismatch between the listed user E-Mail addresses of source and destination server when you already created all users in Office 365.

    So just make sure the E-Mail addresses of the users match 1:1.

  5. Metaphase
    June 13, 2018 at 3:38 pm

    Hey.

    I appear to be having the exact same problem as Tony did in the above comments. Was there a resolution to this in the end as I am unable to complete the batch migration.

    Many thanks,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.