Well, here goes…. I am doing a migration on the public build of the SBS Aurora “V7” from my SBS2008 setup.
Sure, there is a huge migration document…. but lets assume that everything on my network is perfect and see if we can get this down to a few steps…. having the HyperV setup is going to be fantastic here as I can always rollback to my existing SBS server if all hell breaks lose!
- Backup Server – Check
- Make sure I have the latest service packs and updates on existing SBS 2008 Machine – Check
- Migration document tells me to clear down my mailboxes… ummm…. No! I haven’t collected my mail since 1995 for a laugh, not about to clear it down now.
- Download the Baseline Configuration Analyzer (as you need it for the next tool)
- Run the SBS V7 DVD on the existing server, which run’s ADPrep – Check.
- Create an Answer File using the SBS Tool – Check.
- Run the setup on the new server, with the answerfile. – Check
- Time so far – 1 Hour
- Now….. I have been sitting looking at a screen for the next hour while it installs all the features…….
- 2 hours in, and finally I get to this screen…..
At this point, I have a server, on the domain, ready for data moves. That’ll be my next blogpost….
So far, all good!