Right then…. I have been playing around with the iPhone in a big way. One of the most irritating things with the device is that the contact association to a phone number is screwed up. Apple have not fixed it, but a great community member Tim Schuerewegan has. (Give him your money).
Essentially the issue is this. A contact that calls you comes up as one number and when they text you they come up as another. One has the international number +353 XX XXXXXXX and the other just 0XX XXXXXXX. This makes life miserable as the only real work around was to add both numbers to a contact, which is just plain silly.
So, in yet another reason to have an unlocked iPhone, here is the way to fix this in baby steps:
- Unlock your phone, using ZiPhone.
- Open up installer, click on Sources, Click Edit, Click Add, type in http://i.unlock.no and click ok. The installer will refresh the sources at this point.
- Click on Install. Scroll down until you see Unlocking Tools and select that.
- Scroll down again and select ZiPhone iBricker Fix. Click Install.
- Power OFF your phone by holding down the top button.
- Power back on your phone.
- On your PC, download iPhoneBrowser from here. Install this utility. Run this utility.
- Connect your phone to the PC and then you should be able to see something like this (Note the important bit in red) If you dont see that, and all these folders, you did not get the ZiPhone iBrickr fix installed correctly:
- Next thing to do is go to Tim’s page and download the PhoneNumber Dynamic Library. Then follow the instructions in his readme. I am copying them below for ease of looking in one place:
Instructions – Create a directory named “Support” in the /System/Library/Frameworks/AppSupport.framework/ directory on your iPhone.
– Copy the contents of the “AppSupport/x.x.x” (where “x.x.x” is your iPhone’s firmware version) directory in the zip file to the /System/Library/Frameworks/AppSupport.framework/ directory on your iPhone.
– Copy the contents of the “AppSupport – Support” directory in the zip file to the /System/Library/Frameworks/AppSupport.framework/Support/ directory on your iPhone.
– Reboot iPhone.
Once you do this, your phone should be able to receive a call from someone and a SMS message and show the persons name / picture as you would expect to happen. (Without the need of having two numbers against the contact).
Hope this helps others!