WSUS on SBS2003 – Wot No Clients showing up? A simple answer…

So, for three days I have been trying to understand why my SBS Client machines were not showing up on the WSUS Console…

I have found that the answer is simple, but not clear (judging by the amount of posts on the subject on the web).

So here it is people:

You MUST, on a SBS2003 install of WSUS, set the update location on the clients to http://yourservername:8530

If you do not put the port name in (like I did until about 20 minutes ago) then it appears to work by giving you no errors on the WindowsUpdate.log file, but in fact does not work!

After doing this, stop the Automatic Updates on the client machine, then restart them.   After that, type wuauclt /detectnow on the client Command Prompt and you will very shortly after have PC’s showing up on the WSUS console.

Oh, by the way…   the XPSP2 Firewall can safely remain on.

Social